Watercolor is one of the most meditative, colorful, and whimsical mediums around. It can also be one of the most difficult, especially when you’re ready to graduate from dots, dashes, and washes to more advanced techniques. That’s why we teamed up yet with artist, designer, and friend, Jenna Rainey, to create a brand-new watercolor class that’ll take your painting skills to the next level.
Jenna Rainey is one of our favorite teachers, and this class marks her THIRD class with Brit + Co! Rainey is the founder and lead designer, illustrator, calligrapher behind Jenna Rainey Design Studio (formerly Mon Voir), who's work has been featured in countless publications and wedding blogs including Nixon, Martha Stewart Weddings, The Knot, and more! Learn more about Jenna Rainey in our Creative Crushin’ series.
In this class, Rainey will teach you how to paint gorgeous wall-art-worthy plants and succulents employing a mix of traditional and non-traditional techniques, including using sea salt. Rainey’s newest class combines your watercolor *and* plant lady goals! Consider it an excuse to hit up your local nursery for inspiration or to buy to buy the most watercolor-able (that’s a word, right?) agave plant possible.
BY THE END OF THIS CLASS, YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to select high-quality supplies without breaking the bank.
- Color theory as it relates to watercolor.
- Wet in wet painting technique.
- How to layer colors, shadows, and texture.
STUDENT PERK Once you enroll in the class, you’ll also get an exclusive workbook download chock-full of helpful templates, tips, and tricks for conquering the world of watercolor.
Haven’t painted with watercolors since elementary school? Fair enough. The best way to get started is with Rainey’s Intro to Watercolor Painting Class. Follow it up with our Plants + Succulents Class, and then wrap the whole thing up with Rainey’s class on how to Digitize Artwork in Adobe Illustrator. It’s a Rainey trifecta! :)
Get started today!
ALL YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS CLASS ARE:
- Pentel Clic Eraser
- Sea Salt
- HB or 2B Drawing Pencils
- 9x12 Cold Press Watercolor Paper
- Winsor & Newton Professional Watercolor Paint in Phthalo Turquoise
- Winsor & Newton Professional Watercolor Paint in Lemon Yellow Deep
- Winsor & Newton Professional Watercolor Paint in Burnt Umber
- Paint Palette
- Watercolor Round Brush Size 2
- Watercolor Round Brush Size 6
- Watercolor Round Brush Size 16
- Paper Towel
- Two Water Cups
THE WORKBOOK INCLUDES:
- A welcome note from Jenna
- How to select high-quality supplies without breaking the bank
- Color theory as it relates to watercolor
- Sketching for watercolor
- Wet in wet technique
- How to layer colors, shadows, and texture